Sunday, June 20, 2010

Why I Love Being Dad...

First off, happy Father's Day!

Being a Dad is a strange, wonderful, often difficult job, so hats off to all Dads out there.

As for me, I'm just a guy doing the best he can for his kids. I never feel like I deserve any special praise because I'm just doing what comes naturally to me.

So, I thought I'd turn it over to who this day is really about (and why I love being Dad):





That's right, my kids.

Being eaten by birds.

Seriously, without them I wouldn't be Dad. And I can't imagine not being Dad.

They define me as Dad. They bring out the best in me, and allow me to become something far greater than I ever could be on my own. This day truly belongs to them, because without them, I wouldn't--couldn't--be who I am.

Dads, hug your kids today. Let them know how honored you are to be their Dad.

And if you're blessed with two wonderful boys like I am, let 'em know how cool it is that you can carry on entire conversations using nothing but the word "dude".
**********************************************************************

Thanks for reading my ranting,

Brad

4 comments:

  1. Hehe, the Dude conversations.

    And I feel the same way about being Mom as you do with being Dad. My identity is tied into being Mom, all because I've got a child. Today at the park one of my son's classmates calling to me from the swings: "Jason's mom, would you come push me?" Made me laugh, even though it wasn't the first time I'd been referred to that way.

    When I became a parent, I felt like I'd joined a club. You're either in or you're not, though aunts and uncles are sort of auxiliary members. I started being able to join in conversations that had previously excluded me. Even being able to randomly strike up a conversation with a strange parent. All because I had a child.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I rocked the word "dude" in the 90's and still use it today!
    Christi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jaleh, sometimes I'm known as "Mr. Hunter's Dad".
    The "Mr." is what cracks me up.

    ReplyDelete