Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Tuesday Treasures: October Project




Musically, I listen to just about everything. I'm not fond of country, hip-hop, or R&B, but other than that, I go from Bach to the Beatles, from Mozart to Metallica, and everything in between and beyond.

But one of my favorites will always be October Project.





Their self-titled first album was released in 1993, and their second, Falling Farther In, in 1995.

In 1996, the band split after their contract with Epic was cancelled, and though the core members Emil Adler, Julie Flanders, and Marina Belica have reunited and still make great music together, and former lead vocalist Mary Fahl has had a successful solo career, the true magic happened in the mid-90's when they were together with David Sabatino (guitar/vocals) and Urbano Sanchez (percussion).



Part of my love of these albums is nostalgia. I won't deny that; they were released at a time in my life of which I have many wonderful memories.

But it's more than that: it's fantastic music that touched me, and still touches me today.



I was fortunate enough to see them live on what would become their final tour, and though I have seen big shows in sold-out arenas, this performance remains the best concert experience of my life. A wonderful band, and a small venue with just me and perhaps a hundred other people, enjoying the music in a way that you can't with giant crowds and elaborate stage shows.

Some of their music touches a longing in my soul, tainted with sadness because I have not yet identified what it is I'm longing for.



Though they haven't been together in 14 years, I still love them. For the brief, shining moment of their hour upon the stage, they were mine.

Their two albums still bring me hope, joy, and melancholy.

In a way that "big music" often can't, they make me feel.



I hope you enjoy some of their offerings as well.
*********************************************

Thanks for reading my ranting,

Brad

4 comments:

  1. That is really nice. I'd never heard of them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lot of people haven't, Tim.
    I know they're not everyone's cup of tea, but I love 'em, and like to get others to at least give them a listen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are one of my favorite groups too. If you like them you should try "Grey Eye Glaces" and "Gypsy Soul". May I also recommend, Zero 7 and Everything But The Girl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! I'm familiar with Everything But The Girl, but the others are new to me.
    I love finding new bands. I will definitely check them out!

    ReplyDelete