Monday, August 27, 2012

Lord of the Marbits

Do you know what a "marbit" is?

Never fear, I'll tell you.

A marbit is that little, crunchy, marshmallow-thing you find in certain breakfast cereals.

Why do I know this, you may wonder?

Because I love useless information.

Like this (Kaycee, I hope you're paying attention):  Washington drivers are legally required to carry an anchor to use as an emergency brake.

I delight in knowing things that make other people wonder "Why do you even want to know that?"  My response is always the same: "Because you don't...".

If you want to discuss politics, or the current world situation, you won't get much out of me.

But if you want to talk about "War Plan Red", the post-WWI plan designed in case the U.S. ever needed to invade Canada, I'm your guy.  There was even "Plan Indigo" for invading Iceland.

What does this have to do with marbits, you ask?

Never fear, I'll tell you.

Just a few days ago, Blake was outside playing with his friend from down the street.  He came into the house and asked if they could have a snack while they were playing.

I didn't have much snack food around except for an almost-empty bag of--you guessed it--Lucky Charms.

I gave the bag to Blake, and told him they could snack on handfuls of dry cereal.

He found this proposal acceptible.

As Blake was heading to the back door, he clutched the bag to his chest, huddled over it, and shuffled to a shaft of sunlight shining in through the blinds.  He reached into the bag, pulled out a yellow moon marbit, and, holding it aloft into the beam of non-marbit sun, said:

"My precioussssss...."

I have to admit that, glowing in the afternoon sunlight, the little marbit did have an almost-magical quality, a certain luminescence, like a bit of the moon mixed with sugar, puffed up and made into a sweet, crunchy piece of the sky...

Then he ate it, ending the moment.

Blake has not yet seen any of the Lord of the Rings films, but I think I know where this came from...you see, I've been known to do the same thing with the occasional Oreo (most people don't realize that "Oreo" is actually Swahili for "Official cookie of the Gods").

Some of you may be tempted to think that I make this stuff up, especially where Blake is concerned.

Allow me to assure that every single story I've ever posted about my kids is 100 % true.

They really are that fascinating...

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go buy an anchor for my car in case I ever get out to Washington...
********************************
Thanks for reading my ranting,

Brad

1 comment:

  1. Crap! I've been "braking" the law for years! And as a law student that could be devastating to my future career options. At the very least, I'll have to declare it when I go to take the bar exam!

    Thanks for sharing yet another entertaining story about your mini-me. You and your boys never fail to make me smile. :-D

    ReplyDelete