Monday, May 28, 2012

In Memoriam

My dad was a veteran of  the Viet Nam War.  I don't know much about his time over there; he never talked much about it, and I was smart enough to not ask a lot of questions about it.


Although he was one of the lucky ones who made it home (obviously, or I wouldn't be here), he had many friends and comrades who didn't.

 Due to his service, and the ultimate sacrifice made by so many of the people he knew, he always took Memorial Day very seriously. Don't get me wrong, he was always ready to fire up the grill or enjoy a few cold beers at the lake, but he always made sure that my brother and I knew that this isn't just a day for barbecues and picnics.

 I buried my Dad eight years ago yesterday.

 But I still carry what he taught me.

 Even though I never met the men he left behind when he came home from the war, he taught me to honor them and the price they paid for my continued freedom, and to never take that freedom for granted.

 As you enjoy the day off today, remember those who fought and died so that you could enjoy your freedoms today.

 To my Dad, and to all the men and women, past and present, who serve and protect our nation, thank you.

 *******************************************
 Thanks for reading my ranting, Brad

No comments:

Post a Comment